Monday, May 12, 2008

Ooohhh, Strawberries!


My dad showed up for Sarah's birthday party with two giant flats of fresh picked strawberries. I'm leaving town tomorrow and knew I must act fast to preserve them. After some thought I decided to make a syrupy preserve out of one flat and strawberry jam out of the other flat.

The method for making these was quite simple. After all of the strawberries were hulled ( a very long job) I did the following for each batch:

Strawberry Preserves-

I simply boiled the strawberries with an equal portion of sugar. Once the mixture came to a boil, I continued to boil it for another 10 minutes. I then filled the washed jars with the whole strawberries and the juice that was formed, put the lids and bands on and allowed them to self seal. I continued to periodically shake the jars for the next several hours as they cooled to ensure the strawberries were well dispersed in the syrup.

Strawberry Jam-

To make the jam, I ran the strawberries through my food processor. I processed small batches on Medium speed. To this strawberry puree I added sugar in about a 3 to 4 ratio. I also added about 3 tbs of lemon juice and boiled the heck out of it. Once the mixture came to a rolling boil, I continued to boil it for 20 minutes. I filled the jars and put the lids on.

All told, both jobs took me about 3 hours. They look so pretty in the jars. I continue to be so impressed with how my canned products look in the jars. I can't wait to dig in to these and have the jam on top of some Grandmother Bread, and eat the preserves over white cake or ice cream. Yum, that sounds good!

No comments: