Friday, August 29, 2008

Behind every good student...

Is a Great Teacher!

Growing up the daughter of a teacher I have always appreciated the work that they do. I had some wonderful teachers during my career as a student who inspired and motivated me. But it is now as a mother that I truly appreciate their worth.

As mentioned before we had a rough kindergarten teacher experience for Ben. His teacher clearly didn't like 5 year olds, or kids for that matter. She was not kind or nurturing and I think she was likely only teaching the kindergarten level, in order to take advantage of the half day schedule. As a result getting Ben to go to school was a daily chore. He Hated It! He didn't want to talk about his experiences at the end of the day, he didn't want to even talk about school. There was nothing exciting for him (besides the tricycles on the kindergarten playground). I was not looking forward to the next 12 years.

This year, things have changed. Ben has a teacher who clearly loves teaching. Big Ben went to Back to School night last night, while we were at soccer practice ( one of the many benefits of having extra parents) and Ben's teacher spoke to the parents about his passion for first grade. He has tried teaching other grades, but first grade is what he loves. He is organized and kind. Best of all, my son is excited again. He is loving school (as much as is possible for Ben). He comes home every day and tells me what they worked on, he tells me stories about his teacher and the policies of the classroom. Even driving by the school is a different experience as Ben points out the playground, or the area his teacher takes them for reading time.

I am so grateful to the Great Teachers of this world. These teachers who are inspiring and molding my children. I'm grateful that they have a passion for their job. I very much hope that this teacher will help to nurture a love of life-long learning in my child.

No comments: