Friday, January 30, 2009

Nanny


My Nanny isn't my Grandma. Some others get to call her grandma... and there are hundreds of us that get to call her Nanny.

Sarah and I went to visit Nanny this week. She doesn't live far.

Alice Slocum babysat me from the time I was a few months old until I was nine. But really, she is family. When I was nine my family moved, a year later Nanny and her husband also moved, just 30 minutes from our new home. We were able to see each other often.

Nanny's home is the only place in the world I can go where nothing has changed since I was a little girl. The pictures on the walls are the same, the collectibles are the same and even the couch I sat on was the same one I sat on as a little girl. Nanny herself never seems to change either. To me she has looked exactly the same for the last 30 years!

Nanny came to see Ben shortly after he was born and it was wonderful to take my little girl to meet this special woman.

Nanny helped shape the person I am today. She has loved and cared for so many children and has held a place in our hearts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can't quite see them, but Nanny has wings hidden behind her shoulders. She truly is an Angel on Earth!
The Mom (who rested easy because of Nanny:o)