This might be a bit of a rant. If you don't know about some of the stuff that we have been dealing with with Ben's ex wife, you might think this is random... but it so isn't.
As a divorced woman with two kids there are some things that really irk me about other women in my situation. There are some questions I would like to ask them.
- Isn't it the mother and father's responsibility to support their children?
- Shouldn't an able bodied woman be capable of providing for half of the financial needs of her children? Don't they have any pride?
- What kind of mother would interfere in the relationship between her children and their father, who is a good man and good father?
- What kind of mother would be so stubborn as to make it necessary for complete strangers in the legal system to decide the fate of her children?
- Don't we as mothers have a responsibility to demonstrate an example of integrity to our children? And shouldn't that example begin with how we treat their father?
- How can anyone think that a child's father (who has played an active role since their birth) can be replaced with a step-parent?
- Why would you ever intentionally want to hurt someone who you once loved and respected enough to have children with?
I am trying to live my life by the answers to these questions. Sometimes I falter a bit, and haven't always handled every aspect of divorce the best way. But I cannot understand why people allow themselves to become so ugly in divorce, our children deserve better. Don't get me wrong, every situation is different and some divorces deal with issues I can't even begin to fathom. But fair is fair and right is right! Both parents have responsibilities to their children and children have a right to have as equal of relationship with both parents as possible!
Ok, so maybe I'm a little passionate about this. I just wish that people could see how much better it is for your children to rise above petty, selfish issues.